Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Nana's Apple Jelly



My neighbour came by with a bag of apples, just some of a hoard she had received from her brother-in-law. As she was getting sick of peeling, coring and cooking them, she was ready to give some away. 

With my windfall I decided to try again my grandmother's apple jelly recipe after many years of neglect. It worked a treat and here is the result.

The good thing about making this jelly is that you don't need to peel or core the apples, just chop them roughly, then cook until mushy with some grated lemon zest and water. I strained the pulp through a jelly bag overnight and then boiled the resulting liquid with granulated sugar and lemon juice. After five minutes or so of boiling I started testing the jelly for setting - a cold plate in the fridge helps with this. It took about twenty minutes in the end, then I was ready to pour the liquid into sterilised jars. I use small ones, so the two kilos made about eight small jars, altogether. It's such a lovely jewel like jelly with a delicate peachy colour, and it is delicious with lamb and pork as well as stirred with yoghurt, too.

Nana's Apple Jelly (updated to metric)
1.8kg cooking apples, washed and roughly chopped
1140 ml water
Grated zest and juice of a lemon
Granulated sugar - measure about 450g for every 500ml of juice after straining


No comments: